Please read these terms and conditions carefully before using the Forecasting Society’s website.
- Forecasting Society is a Research Community.
- Website refers to the webpages of the Forecasting Society (www.forsoc.net or www.forsoc.eu).
- Agreement are these terms and conditions, any amendments subsequently made to these terms and conditions, any replacement or novation of this agreement, and terms and conditions incorporated into this Agreement by reference.
- Member is a person or entity who is registered to the Forecasting Society.
- Participant has all the properties of the member. In addition, a participant has taken part or intends to take part in one or more experiments.
- Researcher has all the properties of the member. In addition, it is a person or entity who has posted an experiment or publication to the Forecasting Society.
- Experiment is any task or survey posted by researchers on the Forecasting Society.
- Experiment information refers to the entire information related to a particular experiment, including description, experiment’s terms and conditions and deadlines and link to external website and/or researchers’ contact details.
- Reward is an optional prize (which can be non-monetary) specified under the individual experiment information.
- Content is any information, text, files, images, data, interface contained in this website.
- Publication is any content hosted by the Forecasting Society.
- Blog post is a publication and refers to an online article published in the Forecasting Society.
- Comment is a member’s opinion posted under a specific experiment or blog post.
Agreement to be bound
- The use of the Forecasting Society is subject to this agreement. Any user agrees to be bound by this Agreement and any subsequent amendments to this Agreement, as set forth below.
- Forecasting Society reserves the right to change this agreement at any time, provided that if such modifications materially limit member’s rights and/or expand member’s obligations hereunder, the Forecasting Society will notify the members electronically, such as by email or through the website. Such material modifications will have immediate effect. If at any time a member disagrees with the agreement or any modifications thereof, the member may terminate this agreement and shall cease using the website. Member’s continued use of the website after the revised agreement becomes effective indicates that the member has read, understood, and agreed to the revised agreement. Any new or different terms supplied by a member are specifically rejected by the Forecasting Society unless the Forecasting Society agrees to them in a signed writing specifically including those new or different terms.
- The Forecasting Society may alter its website from time to time by adding or removing features. This agreement will not be affected by any alterations to the website.
Use of the website
- You must not use the website to facilitate or participate in any illegal activity or engage in any activity which the Forecasting Society, in its absolute discretion, considers inappropriate.
- The Forecasting Society reserves the right to terminate or restrict a member’s access to the website immediately and indefinitely if it suspects that the member is engaging in any such behaviour or is in breach of any terms of this agreement.
- From time to time, the Forecasting Society may provide, or any content may contain, links to Third Party Sites and resources. You acknowledge that:
- the Forecasting Society has no control over Third Party Sites and resources.
- the Forecasting Society is not responsible for the availability of such external sites or resources.
- the Forecasting Society does not endorse and is not responsible for any content, advertising, products, services or other materials on or available from such sites or resources.
- You acknowledge and agree that the Forecasting Society will not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any information loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with a member’s use of or reliance on any content or material available on or through any Third Party Sites or resource.
- A member may not be under the age of 18 years old. Any member has the right to submit an experiment. The details of a member (username, full name, contact details etc.) are by default not publicly visible.
- The members are responsible for all use of the Website made using their accounts (and/or username or password), whether or not members are aware of that use or could reasonably have been aware of that use. The members agree to notify the Forecasting Society immediately if they become aware of any unauthorized use of their accounts.
- A member’s user account is personal and may not be sold, assigned or transferred to a third party. If a member attempt to sell, assign or transfer the account to a third party, the Forecasting Society may suspend or terminate the respective membership at its sole discretion.
- The member warrant that any information provided or posted by him/her (on registration or otherwise):
- is not false, inaccurate, misleading or fraudulent.
- does not infringe any third party’s Intellectual Property Rights or other rights arising at law or otherwise.
- is not obscene, defamatory, libellous, threatening or harassing.
- does not violate any applicable law.
- does not contain or describe pornography and is not otherwise harmful to persons under the age of 18 years.
- will not create liability for the Forecasting Society or cause it to lose the services of its internet service providers or other suppliers (in whole or in part).
- Members may not use their accounts to:
- stalk or harass another person.
- to impersonate any person in any way whatsoever.
- to send advertising, chain letters, junk mail, spam or any other type of unsolicited email or electronic communications.
- distribute any pornographic, extremist or racist material or any material which might otherwise be harmful to persons under the age of 18 years.
- violate any applicable law relating to member’s use of the website.
- The user may terminate the membership at any time and without cause by notifying the Forecasting Society.
Participation in experiments
- Forecasting Society does not transfer participants’ details to the researchers. It is the reliability of the participants to share their details with the researchers.
- Forecasting Society is not involved in any way in the formation of any contract between the participant and the researcher. Forecasting Society at no time acts as an agent for a participant or a researcher.
- The Forecasting Society does not guarantee the accuracy of the experiment information (or other information posted on the website), ownership of any information, or the availability of any reward.
- The Forecasting Society does not control the content of any experiment information or the decisions of the researchers of the experiment and that any claims the members may have in relation to the experiment information or other information relating to the experiment, or the decisions of the researchers (including the selection of the winner and ranking of participants), may be taken solely against the researchers of that specific experiment, including any defamation or other claims arising from its ranking of participants.
- The Forecasting Society is not liable to pay any reward and that a participant will look solely to the researcher of the respective experiment for payment of any reward.
- The Forecasting Society does not host the content of the experiment. The Forecasting Society hosts the experiment information (via experiment post), but does not host the experiment itself.
- Submitted experiments should be accompanied by all necessary experiment information and any additional terms and conditions on top of those applicable to the Forecasting Society. In case of conflicting terms and conditions this agreement supersedes any other published by researchers for their experiments.
- It is the responsibility of the members submitting experiments that the submitted experiments have been granted the respective approval by the Research Ethics Committee of the member’s Institution or equivalent.
- Reward guidelines and specific are set by the researchers and are fully independent from the Forecast Society. Forecasting Society bears no responsibility for the fulfilment of the rewards.
- After the acceptance of a submitted experiment:
- The member(s) who submitted the experiment is automatically upgraded to researcher status.
- The registered details of the researchers involved in an experiment will be publicly visible through the webpages of the Forecasting Society.
- The Forecasting Society retains the right to reject any submitted experiment or to take down an experiment that is already running without notice.
- The Forecasting Society is not responsible for loss of any kind arising from the use of its website.
- The researchers agree and warrant that they will not cancel or withdraw an experiment initiated by them for the purpose of contracting separately with any member(s) or participant(s) or to avoid paying any reward.
- If a researcher wishes to withdraw an experiment, he/she must notify the Forecasting Society in writing. The Forecasting Society will in its sole discretion decide whether to withdraw the experiment.
- The Forecasting Society does not endorse or verify the contents of any experiment, experiment information or posting and all experiments will be conducted entirely between the researchers of the respective experiments and the participants (except to the extent set out in this agreement).
- The Forecasting Society must be acknowledged by the researcher(s) at any articles, academic papers or presentations related to the hosted experiments.
Posting publications or comments
- In order for a publication to be hosted in the Forecasting Society, author(s) must hold the copyright.
- The copyright of publications remains with the author(s) of the respective publications.
- Any opinions expressed in a publication, blog post or comment are those of the author(s) and not necessarily those of the Forecasting Society.
- Once a comment is posted, the username of the respective member becomes publicly available.
- The Forecasting Society reserves the right to moderate or remove the comments submitted by the members.